Friday, November 18, 2011

What glue should I use to attach a wing back to the crystal I bought from Swarovski?

I bought a crystal Pegasus a while back and warranty been expired. I was just taking the pegasus out to clean off the dust when it wasn't standing straight on the table and fell on the side. Nothing is broken, just one of the wings detached. I'm guessing cause it hasn't been touched for really long and is crispy. What glue is best to attach the wing back? I heard something about E6000 adhesive epoxy glue. Not sure if it works. Advice greatly appreciated, thanks.|||Hi Jason ,


While I'm am not a adhesive expert by any means ... , I am almost 60 years old and during the later forty of those 60 years I was on management in very large CNC machine Shop , had my machines at home for gun smithing and building custom long range handguns and raised for children (where glue was required to save the day many a time ;-) ,


My shop job and home business required adhesives that covered a great number of materials ( from wood to exotic metals and plastics used in the Space Industry .


Home was pretty simple ...fixing broken dolls , cap guns , toy cars (remember when this stuff was all all metal ??


Anyways I've probably tried just about everything at on time or another ... and I can see that we are alike when it comes to the unknown . (even items some may think trivial ie. "gluing glass back together) You ask before diving into a project .


Knowing you have that quality I'll bet you don"t have any repaired breakables around your house with discolored glues/adhesives peeling off or making the repaired cracks stick out like a sore thumb .


I don't repair many delicate glass items so I think my first questions would go to the manufacture of you broken item and a few others that make this type of item and ask them cuz it probably won't look right ifs not properly repaired with the right adhesive and procedure .


A lot of adhesives may hold it together but will be (((very visible))) especially after time and light take their toll .


The glass manufacturers should be able to tell you what will work best and how to do it .


I'd look into a pair of "Second Hands" Adjustable arms with clamps for holding light parts in odd positions , they come with or without a magnifying glass .


their all over ebay.


Good Luck %26amp; don't stop asking if you don't know .


kenny





P.S.


When an employee would say " hey Kenny , I got a silly question" I'd always reply


"Their are no silly or stupid questions around here because I'd rather answer a thousand simple questions then have to fix one STUPID mistake .





I know ... my answers are long and boring but hopfulluy help others find things/information in the future .





{ALL OF THE KNOWEDGE IN THE UNIVERSE IS WORTHLESS UNLESS IT IS SHARED}|||Whatever you choose, make sure it is a clear adhesive or it will really spoil the look of the piece. An instant glue like super glue is fine but make sure that you check the instructions to see that it is suitable for glass Try to get glue that you can apply with a brush as this is easier to control than squeezing it out of a tube or bottle.





When you are sticking the wing back on make sure that the surfaces are clean and dry and support the wing for a good couple of hours after sticking even if you are using instant glue to make sure that gravity does not undo your work.





Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment