Friday, November 18, 2011

Has anyone heard complaints about the lead content in Swarovski crystals?

Went to my local bead shop today %26amp; was quite surprised to see they are no longer carrying Swarovski crystals. Instead they are using a type of Chinese crystal. When I questioned the shop keeper, I was told it is because buyers have become unhappy with the lead content in Swarovski crystals.





I have been making jewellery for years %26amp; have never had anyone mention lead content in crystal. I am wanting to know if there is truth in this or if the bead store is attempting to save money.





Ideas or information, anyone???|||Sounds like a marketing ploy to me.





I have a cabinet full of lead crystal stemware--drinking vessels made from lead crystal. It's the lead content that makes the design cut into the glasses sparkle. I have Waterford crystal and Princess House crystal that's on the order of 25% lead. The only warning I've ever had was not to STORE citrus juice or wine in lead-crystal decanters because of the leaching possibility. Drinking wine during a meal shouldn't pose a problem. If it can be sold with 25% to 35% lead content to hold the liquid you're going to drink, would there be a restriction on the stones in a brooch or pendant that doesn't even touch your skin?





Actually, the laws concerning lead in jewelry are more about lead "charms" that might be placed on a child's bracelet or necklace and leach lead easily, not the crystals that might go into an adult piece and that incorporate the lead into glass! China is notorious for using lead paint on children's toys, making lead "charms" that are intended for children's jewelry, and pretty much not caring about lead poisoning. The crystal industry on the other hand, mostly based in Europe, is very concerned about a balance between gorgeous, sparkly crystal and any danger from using it. If you're concerned, you can get a test kit that will tell you if lead is leaching out--that's what we use on the toys we buy that come from China to make sure they aren't going to poison anyone.|||I don't know where you are, but there's been no information at all in the UK, and I'm a member of the Bead Society of Great Britain, with information travelling quickly round. I googled 'lead content of swarovski crystal' and found an interesting article - it's the first one on the google page (somehow I couldn't cut and paste), so please have a look at it.|||I suspect it's quite the opposite. If you're concerned about the lead content, wearing latex gloves will alleviate the problem.. The Chinese crystals are cheaper and he can charge about the same price. Here's an article to help:http://jewelry-business-blog.com/jewelry鈥?/a>|||JoAnn's sells Swarovski crystals and I have NOT heard of any problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment